Home Safety Tips
Here are some of BeSure Home Health Services home safety tips to ensure the safety and care of your loved one. Please keep them in mind.
- Place non-skid mats on shower and bathroom floors.
- Have grab bars installed in shower and by toilet.
- Use raised toilet seat for easy access to toilet.
- Installation of the necessary helpful equipment ie. Night lights.
- Arrange furniture to allow for clear path around room.
- Place bell, phone, or other signaling device by me for easy access.
- It’s necessary to install chair lifts to insure staircase safety.
- Have hand rails installed on both sides of stairs.
- Ensure adequate lighting at top and bottom of stairs.
- Clear stairs of obstacles.
REST OF THE HOUSE:
- Tape small rugs to the floor or do not use them.
- Keep hallways clear of all clutter.
- Clean spills when they happen.
Fall Prevention Tips:
- Keep walking aids (walker, cane, or crutch) within reach.
- Keep walking aids well maintained including brakes and rubber stoppers.
- When sitting up from lying position count to ten before standing.
- When standing from sitting position count to ten before taking a step.
- Carry only small loads. For larger loads take multiple trips or ask for assistance.
- Use a sturdy step stool when climbing or reaching is necessary.
- Never walk in stocking feet.
- Always wear low-heeled shoes with rubber soles.
- Be aware of uneven surfaces, exercise caution.
- Use extra caution when walking on highly polished floors.
- Review medications with your doctor for side-effects that may impair balance.
- Have your vision checked annually.